Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day of Surgery

Oh much fun. My surgery is scheduled across town in a hospital in a not nice area. Not having a warm fuzzy feeling. But I go at 6am to the hospital. Surgery is scheduled at 9am. Fun. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight... great, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty and I'm scared. But into the hospital I go. Outpatient surgery center, 2nd floor. Ok its a big hospital and my doctor, I trust him isnt going to be affiliated with some bad hospital. I can get through this.
So I do all of the preliminary stuff, hand over my insurance card... find out they want me to make a "deposit" just in case my insurance doesnt cover everything. Hey, why dont you perform service before charging me huh? No deposit for you! Off to the pre surgery area.
Hey this place doesnt look too bad, televisions to watch, people everywhere... alright looking good so far. Get the IV in the hand.. ow ok this hurts but ok suck it up, this is probably going to be the least of your worries. Am asked a bunch of questions, asked to pee in a cup, Doc shows up and says "we're gonna fix you right up" Oakie doakie doc!
Into the OR I am wheeled. OOOOH SCARY. Its bright, I see all kinds of scary metal objects. But everyone seems to be nice and cordial.
A very LARGE man in a beard cover comes over and puts a tourniquet on my thigh. OW ok ok ok its tight enough. They put a mask over my face and tell me to breathe and to relax. ok I cant relax when I cant breathe with this thing. The plastic is covering my mouth and nose. I swat it away and he adjusts the mask so I can actually breathe. Oooh pure oxygen I'm feeling floaty. Then they say they're going to give me something to relax, and there's my doctor, all gowned up and listening to country music. The last thing I remember before heading out to lala land is them discussing the CMA awards and Redneck Woman playing on the overhead music. Oh this is going to be a fun surgery.

I wake up 4 hours later in the recovery room and a nurse is hovering around me. She asks how I'm doing. Ok well... considering I just had surgery, I'm ok. OWWW ok it hurts if I move. Ahh there's the cast on my leg, no wonder it hurts. She gives me a tiny pill and tells me she's giving me delaudinum (or however you spell it) ok, I remember my husband telling me that made him see pink unicorns and rainbows. Ohhh thats more like it, no pain, but I feel like a zombie. More nurses come in and check on me. They give me something to drink. Ahhh finally I can drink. The IV is still in my hand though. I'm still in the recovery room, and the pain comes back. I tell the nurse also that my foot feels numb. Doc comes over and feels my foot. Oooh feels better when you rub my toes. Ok numb issue taken care of. Doc gives me another delaudinum. They ask if I want to stay the night for pain management since this was pretty radical surgery they did on me. Nope, I wanna go home. I then am told I cannot have a cabbie take me home. EEP. Oh well make arrangements to get home. I see the physical therapists who give me a lesson in walking with crutches. Well I'm an old pro at this so I show off my superior crutching skills. Am good to go. IV comes out and I'm given another delaudinum for the road along with a prescription for percocet. I stop at the pharmacy for the percocet and into the house I go.

I feel like a zombie on the pills, but am still in massive pain. Maybe it would have been better if I had stayed in the hospital.... Call doc about pain, its really bad, cant feel toes again. Doc answers phone from his house and tells me its going to be fine, take as many pain pills as I need, numbness will go away in time. Ok doc, whatever you say. This stinks, it hurts worse than before. Begin having second thoughts about having the surgery. Nothing I can do now but wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment