Ok so more adventures in pain land. Because my foot isnt at the full 90 degree angle I'm kind of walking on my toes. This hurts. So I dont use the shoe, I just hop around on the crutches and about once a day put a little pressure on my foot, and flex my calf muscle to do what I can to prevent atrophy. I'm noticing I'm swelling up pretty bad inside the cast. By the time I went to the doc on Jan 2, I feel like I'm going to burst out of the cast. This is tight.
I see the doc, office was pretty busy and I have the nurse (the same one that did the xrays) take off my cast. She's nice. Keeps asking me if I'm ok. Oh sure I'm fine, just dont slice me. I'm left dangling again. OW. Ok I'm almost screaming its so ow. I should have taken a pill before I went in. Gawds this hurts. I itch myself and pull some more of my shedding skin off. I look like a lizard on one foot. All scaly and flaky and eeeew! Doc comes in and looks at me. Notices the swelling. Says I need to elevate it more. While I was waiting on him I decided to see what the source of my constant pain was. Touched by the achilles. Nope no pain there, can feel tendon. Touched underside of my heel, nope no pain there, just massively scaly skin. Touched along my scar... by the calf.. no pain down down down to the heel.. OW. ok Found out where the pain was from. Its right behind the screw. I can feel the screw. And its poking out slightly. Umm doc, it hurts when I touch there. Doc says screw may need to come out once graft is fully healed. He looks concerned. I dont like when docs look concerned and dont say anything but now I know the source of my constant pain. Its not scabs, its not staples, its the screw. And it hurts.
Doc tells me to pull back on my foot and flex it and such for the next 10 minutes to get my foot to a full 90 degrees. I do so. Doesnt hurt too bad with the exception of the stiffness at my instep from all of the swelling. But I pull and I pull and doc comes back. Says looks good and I'm expecting a boot. Nope, one more cast. With my shoe. And he is going to pad the screw a lot better so it stops hurting me so much. Tells me I really need to start walking on it more. So I say "ok doc whatever you say, I'm going to push myself as much as I can until I can dance again!" New cast comes on, lots of pulling on the foot, slip the shoe on... and I step down Doc gives me more pain meds.
I try a little around the office, not too bad. I go home. Ok, big test for myself. I step down, full weight on the foot. ok... ok. little more..... and.. here we go full weight on one foot. Hrrm this isnt too bad. Ok ow... get off the foot. But I proved to myself I could put my full weight on my foot without issue. Hrrm the padding seems to be doing its job pretty well. Not nearly as much screw pain
So here's to hoping I'll be in a boot on Jan 16!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment