Saturday, February 14, 2009

The cast is off!

Hooray! Week 14 and the cast FINALLY came off. After my doc tweaked his back and I hadnt seen him for over a month, I go to the doc and we take the cast off. Ooooh scaly skin. I do my push down on his hand thing and he's impressed. So into the walking boot I go! Huzzah! And I have photos of the cast I just need to upload them now. And once I get around to shaving my leg I'll take a photo of my way cool and awesome scar from this mess.

One thing that concerns me though, is behind my heel, there was a huge oozy scab. Not pretty. Very slimy and yellow. Doc said it was "normal" so ok doc if you say big oozy scab 3 months after surgery is normal... ok I believe ya! Something about poor circulation in the area due to being casted for so long. Also he said that explains why I'm STILL swollen. But at least I'm in the walking boot now. Amazing its the same boot I had from before so now I have two identical Aircast grey tall walking boots. Its not a cam walker like I've seen others who have the basic Achilles surgery done and they're in a boot in a few weeks.

The boot is heavier than the cast but at least I can walk around like a normal human being. But in VERY short stints. This hurt. At least the first week hurt a lot to walk longer than 5 minutes. Week two in the walking boot and it hurts a little less to walk, now I'm up to about 20 minutes of weight bearing on it before I start getting owie. Still have the pain behind the heel, but achilles pain is minimal.

I also was a bad girl and picked the big yellow oozy scab off and there's a white spot that looks oozy behind my heel. Not sure if this is good or bad, so will call doc about it after the holiday weekend. I put a bandaid with neosporin on it just to help healing. I figured it couldnt hurt. I can touch the bandaid without being shot through the roof but it is tender so its something I worry about to a degree.

Also I'm scheduled for physical therapy to start next week. Oh much fun and joy there. They almost were unable to schedule me in until march, which I still would have waited for them because this looks like a good physical therapist's office, but I dont know if the doc would have been happy about that for me. But I got the name of my therapist and got some information on her, and her philosophies seem to mesh well with mine, not to mention she's a dancer and I do want to get back to dancing.

Doc said I'm about 1/4 of the way through this whole ordeal and the worst part is over. I'm healed from the surgery and my tendon is in place, now the long hard work of restrengthening myself so that I can be active again begins. Much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment